Spiking is a form of attacking and a very popular offensive move used in volleyball. It is the act of jumping and hitting the ball down into the opponent's court, which hopefully results in a "kill". There are various types of hits - the outside, middle, and back hits based on who the hitter is.
If you are right-handed, your approach should be "Left foot, right foot-left foot, jump" and vice versa if you are left-handed. (Refer to the picture on the right along with these steps).
The Jump and Hit
- After your final step, you should be slightly perpendicular to the net with your hitting shoulder away from the net.
- As you jump as high as you can vertically, you need to lift up both arms and swing down the arm you are not hitting with for momentum.
- The hitting arm will then follow as you pull your elbow back and bend it approximately 90 degrees.
- Then curve it up and swing at the ball, keeping your hand open in order to have maximum contact. Make sure you are hitting the ball at your highest reach.
- Swing hard at the ball and snap your wrist in order to keep the ball in the court. Always follow through with your arm to finish off your hit.